The AUK College of Nursing prepares students for employment and professional development in the Field of Nursing. Nursing is both a science and an art. It has its foundation in biophysical and behavioral humanistic sciences, as well as in specific nursing practice skills and techniques. Nursing is a profession that believes in preventing illness, caring for those who are acutely ill and helping people with long-term rehabilitative problems live in the healthiest way possible. Nursing care is about providing quality patient care in public and private health entities. Inspired by its mission of serving the local and regional community, the AUK College of Nursing is to cater to the needs of the health service in the Kurdistan region and beyond. The aim is to graduate highly skilled nursing professionals to provide the best possible outcomes for patients. The training of professional nurses in the College of Nursing will be modeled according to the highest standards of interdisciplinary nursing requirements followed in U.S. universities.
The College of Nursing’s mission is consistent with the American University of Kurdistan (AUK) mission, which is to support values-based liberal arts and professional education for all students in achieving their educational goals in an academic and scholarly excellence environment. The AUK College of Nursing is to prepare caring, innovative, professional nurses who are leaders in addressing the region’s healthcare needs and improving local, national, and global communities’ health and wellness.
The vision of the College of Nursing is committed to providing quality nursing education and scholarly training so that students become compassionate, highly academically qualified nurses, educators, leaders, and scholars of a diverse, sustainable, global society.
Caring encompasses the interest, concern, compassion, and mentoring we demonstrate for our students, our patients, our communities, and each other. Caring is central to nursing practice.
Diversity is fostering the potential of every individual through sensitivity, social justice, and cultural competence.
Excellence is supporting the highest quality in an environment of collaboration, shared knowledge, innovation, scholarship, leadership, and competence.
Integrity is acting with honesty, fairness, and sincerity in all endeavors in an ethical and professional manner.
Nursing innovation is the conversion of knowledge and ideas into meaningful work through creativity, entrepreneurship, and pushing beyond the boundaries of the current situation.
Scholarship is to discover and disseminate new knowledge and using nursing scholarship to practice evidence-based care. As a practice profession and an academic discipline, nursing is an art and science.
Service is to commit to the people of the Kurdistan region and beyond by providing high-quality nursing programs to promote the health of all people. We provide nursing expertise and service at the University, Kurdistan Region, Iraq, and international levels.
Respect is acknowledging the value of ourselves and others by treating them with dignity, responsiveness, courtesy, and consideration.
- Demonstrate competent and responsible practice by synthesizing and integrating knowledge from nursing and liberal education to provide patient-centered, holistic, compassionate, and respectful care of patient populations, families, and communities that age and culturally appropriate (Patient-centered Care).
- Utilize scholarship to evaluate and integrate current evidence with clinical expertise and consideration of clients’ preferences, experience, and values to make practice decisions for quality outcomes (Evidence-based Practice).
- Apply clinical reasoning and critical thinking to promote a culture of safety and prevent risk of harm to populations, families, colleagues, and the community (Safety).
- Demonstrate effective communication with patients, families, and colleagues by fostering mutual respect and shared decision making to enhance knowledge, experience, and health outcome (Communication; Teamwork and Collaboration).
- Recognize the changing healthcare system and demonstrate the ability to access resources in a safe, effective, and financially responsible manner to provide value-based care (Systems-based Practice).
- Demonstrate leadership through accountability, influence, and collaboration with others in a way that will facilitate the establishment and achievement of shared goals (Leadership).
- Recognize a commitment to quality improvement by understanding the value of data, design, implementation, and evaluation strategies to improve the quality and safety of healthcare system (Quality Improvement).
- Demonstrate active participation and collaboration within nursing and inter-professional teams to achieve quality patient outcomes (Teamwork and Collaboration).
- Demonstrate professionalism through consistent application and self-reflection of ethical, legal, altruistic, humanistic, regulatory principles, and self-care (Professionalism).
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of technology and information systems to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and to support decision making for safe practice (Information and Technology).
- Assume responsibility for life-long learning for professional development (Role responsibility of BSN Generalist).
Major Degree Specializations