Founded in 2014 as a non-profit institution of higher learning by Masrour Barzani, the American University of Kurdistan is dedicated to preparing future generations of leaders through curricular and co-curricular excellence in an American style education focusing on transformative knowledge, innovative research, ethical community service, respect for inclusion and diversity, global connectedness, and life-long learning, all aiming to ensure economic, environmental, social and political advancement- regionally, nationally and globally.
The American University of Kurdistan offers its students the following:Careers and Future Job Preparedness
- A values-based, American style liberal arts education devoted to the overall development of students to ready them for careers both professionally and socially.
- Exposure to practical project-based learning, internships and commercial projects.
- Development of students’ personal soft skills including independent and critical thinking, communication, tech fluency, creative problem solving and teamwork to ensure their success in future jobs.
- The capability of adapting to global challenges through a curriculum employing American best practices in teaching and instructional design.
- Global awareness and preparedness for academic and professional realms.
- Fostering of entrepreneurship and the creation of business startups through the University’s 'innovation hub' that links students with mentors from industry.
- Promotion of freedom of thought and creative expression.
- Nurture of student innovation by providing resources and support. Campus
- State-of-the-art classrooms and computer labs with courses that integrate the latest technologies.
- Iconic building dedicated to Mustafa Barzani. Community
- Preparedness as Kurdistan’s next generation of leaders by nurturing a culture of community service and social responsibility.
- An ethos of inclusion, diversity and tolerance rooted in respect for and understanding of all individuals and perspectives.
- Respect and support for the local community through institutional outreach in health, IT, school education, environmental and urban planning sectors.