What is CAPAi?
CAPAi Design Thinking Tech Bootcamp is a one-of-a-kind platform within Kurdistan for the brightest and most gifted young professionals. It will be facilitated by Raffi Simonian, who is the Executive Director of Epicenter for Action Research at the University of Los Angeles, California (UCLA) and has managed over 65 projects, including founding and facilitating similar bootcamps at Los Angeles Community College (LACC) and UCLA. This bootcamp at the American University of Kurdistan will provide scholarships to those professionals who have the courage to dream and come up with real solutions to real problems for the region and beyond. Participants are trained in entrepreneurship, which is based on thinking outside of the box. The bootcamp will enable innovative business thinking to flourish and contribute to sustainable business ideas, creating jobs and opportunities leading to growth and prosperity.
- Train undergraduate students and alumni to come up with innovative solutions to problems that the local community and industry is facing
- Create internship and job opportunities for the bootcamp participants through the partners and sponsors of the bootcamp
- Develop a culture to foster innovation in Kurdistan
- Unleash the potential of tech designers
- Unite local and global industry experts with local talents to solve real world problems
- Bootcamp mode and place: In-person; on campus of The American University of Kurdistan in Duhok
- Bootcamp Start/end dates: July 16 – July 27, 2023
- Bootcamp Duration: 10 days divided in 2 weeks; total 40 hours
- Sessions Per Week: 5 sessions; 4 hours each
- Target: Undergraduate students, graduates and young professionals
- Number of Scholarships: for 21 participants divided into 3 groups
- Each group is given a problem that is presented by the local and global industry experts through a panel discussion conducted before the kick-off of the bootcamp
- The bootcamp is run by a trainer from the US with +35 years of experience in IT Sector. Each group is coached by an experienced individual who will work with the team throughout the bootcamp and the incubator program
- Each Bootcamp session is accompanied by a different session speaker and expert to give presentations and work with individual groups to give tips and tricks in their area of expertise in various topics such as STEM skills, Project Management, UX UI, Analytics, Conflict Resolutions and more.
- Groups compete by coming up with an innovative solution as a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) for their selected problem and will be judged by industry experts at the end of the bootcamp to determine the best MVP, and therefore, go into the incubation program that will last 5 months after the bootcamp.
Applicant has to meet the below criteria in order to be eligible to apply for this scholarship
- Proficient in English in Speaking, writing, and listening
- At least 20 years old and not more than 30 years old
- Current University/college student, or a graduate.
- Citizen and current resident in Iraq
- Willing and able to attend a two week bootcamp which will take place 5 days a week and 4 hours a day.
- Upon completion of the bootcamp and achievement of the best MVP, commit to actively participate and contribute to his/her team in the incubation program which will last 5 months after the bootcamp
Applicants will be evaluated on the following elements:
- Commitment to voluntarism and contribution to the community in the local region.
- Demonstrated record of community service work, projects, or voluntary experience.
- Compassion to work with diverse groups of people.
- Passion and interest in problem-solving, and proven STEM skills.
- Good Social and Communication Skills
- Good Academic Achievement
- enthusiastic and positive attitude
- Curiosity for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
We are currently looking for investors who are willing to co-fund this project by sponsoring student scholarships or a project.
Join us and our other partners to make major contribution to the community and younger generation through this project.
You can individually contribute to this bootcamp with your skills, areas of expertise as a coach, session speaker or session expert and get a chance to network with a pool of young professionals.
If you are a young professional with leadership and entrepreneurship potential, and passionate about innovation, then apply to this program by 31st of March and get a fully-funded scholarship. Scan the QR Code below to apply:
- What language will be used during the bootcamp?
- What is Google Ventures Design Thinking Framework?
It is a design thinking process developed by Google Ventures for solving issues. It prioritizes the customer’s needs above all else. It depends on empathetic interactions, and it employs a hands-on approach to creating innovative solutions. This design thinking framework will be used throughout the bootcamp.
- How will I benefit from this bootcamp?
During the bootcamp, you will do the following:
- Meet inspirational speakers, talented entrepreneurs, and thought leaders, both regional and global;
- Learn the Google Ventures Design Thinking Framework and apply it to a real problem, producing a real solution; and
- Obtain valuable skills and knowledge, learning from the best, in areas like STEM, Project Management, UX/UI, Analytics, Conflict Resolution, and more.
- Who is eligible to apply?
If you are between the ages of 20 and 30 (inclusive) and you are an undergraduate or a graduate, then you are eligible to apply. Read more about our eligibility criteria above.
- Is there a scholarship?
Yes! This bootcamp offers a scholarship covering University registration fees, accommodation for people coming from outside Duhok, transportation within the Kurdistan Region, and meals for the two-week duration of the bootcamp.
- How can I apply, and when is the deadline?
You can apply by filling out the application form above. The deadline is the 31st of March, 2023.
- How do I know that I have been accepted for the scholarship
We will send an email to the address you reported in your application form. Therefore, please make sure to write your main email address in the application form.
- When will I find out whether or not I have been accepted for the scholarship?
You should get a response by May 31, 2023.
- What should my personal statement cover?
In your personal statement, you should mention your qualifications and emphasize how they fit the requirements for this bootcamp. Read more about applicant evaluation elements above.
- Who can write reference letters for me?
A professional reference letter should be written by someone who has worked with you in a professional capacity, such as a work supervisor or manager, and can speak directly on your qualifications. An academic reference letter should be written by someone who has overseen you in an academic capacity, such as a university professor, and is familiar with your scholastic aptitude.
- What is expected of me as a participant?
As a participant, you are expected to commit to a two-week bootcamp, conducted 5 days a week, for 4-6 hours on each of them. You are also expected to contribute actively to your team and lend your expertise to successful completion of the project. Furthermore, if your project has been selected for the incubation program, you must commit to continue working with your team on your project and attend all associated meetings until the conclusion of the incubation program. The incubation program is anticipated to last an additional 5 months after the close of the bootcamp.
For further details about this scholarship, please email: email@example.com