The College prepares students for employment and professional development in the field of nursing. Nursing care is about providing quality patient care in public and private health entities. In the Kurdistan Region as well as in Iraq Prime there is a great need for a well-developed nursing sector within the health services. Furthermore there is a huge deficiency in the numbers of degree qualified nurses. The current lack of nurses has been derogatory to the quality of our health service. There is an urgent need for highly skilled nurses who can collaborate with members of the health care teams to provide health services with international standard.
Inspired by its mission of serving the local and regional community; the American University of Kurdistan has embarked on the opening of the College of Nursing to cater for the needs of the health service in the region and beyond. The aim is to graduate highly skilled nursing professionals to provide the best possible outcomes for our patients. The training of professional nurses in this college will be modelled according to highest standards of interdisciplinary nursing requirements followed in US universities.
The American University of Kurdistan is committed to working in partnership with the Department of Health in Duhok as well as universities, health and social care organizations in the US to provide solutions for the evolving needs of health services in Kurdistan and beyond.
The mission of the College of Nursing in the American university of Kurdistan is to uplift the nursing profession in the Kurdistan region and beyond such that individual and community health and well-being are best served through excellence in nursing education, research and nursing practice that adheres to the values of AUK.
- Demonstrate integrity, caring, accountability, respect and excellence in nursing practice.
- Collaborate with patients and health professionals to develop and implement culturally appropriate health promotion, disease prevention and illness care methods.
- Apply evidence-based knowledge to guide and teach individuals, families and populations regarding health promotion and illness prevention.
- Demonstrate essential nursing competencies when providing patient-centered nursing care using the nursing process and evidence-based outcomes to accommodate societal/cultural differences.
- Adhere to ethical and legal standards and promote a positive image of professional nursing.
- Apply healthcare team coordination and accountability for care delivery and decision making in a variety of settings.