The American University of Kurdistan will be recognized as a premier institution of higher education in the Middle East and beyond by cultivating academic excellence, fostering creativity, and engaging in the highest caliber of applied research.
- Create an intellectual climate that encourages a dedication to learning that extends far beyond the physical confines of a typical classroom.
- Educate each student as a whole person with the belief that the greatest good faculty and staff can do is to instill in students the love of lifelong learning.
- Teach the importance of global perspectives and encourage students to actively apply the knowledge they have learned so they are well prepared to enter a competitive, global marketplace.
- Encourage faculty to engage in applied research that will actively address the challenges communities throughout the region face and that works to support a sustainable environment.
- Excel in teaching and hold a firm commitment that critical thinking skills are enhanced through collaborative classroom experiences in combination with real-world field work and internships.
- Support a values-based liberal arts and professional education that is open to students from all cultural, religious, ethnic and economic backgrounds.
- Commit to the service aspect of academe and believe in the high ideals of community service and social responsibility.
- Create a stimulating learning environment where vigorous debate is encouraged and excellence in communication is rewarded.