The American University of Kurdistan was founded in 2014 by Masrour Barzani as a non-profit, special status institution of higher learning located in Duhok, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Its mission is to combine the best of American-style liberal arts and professional education to produce graduates with global perspectives who are fully engaged in the advancement and flourishing of the region.
The University aims to:
- Support a values-based liberal arts and professional education that is open to students from all cultural, religious, ethnic, and economic backgrounds.
- Create a stimulating learning environment in which vigorous debate is encouraged and excellence in communication is rewarded.
- Foster an intellectual climate that encourages dedication to learning that extends far beyond the physical confines of the traditional classroom.
- Educate each student as a whole person with the belief that the greatest good faculty and staff can do is to instill in students the love of lifelong learning.
- Encourage students to actively apply the knowledge they have learned, so they are well prepared to enter a competitive, global marketplace.
- Support faculty engagement in applied research that actively addresses the challenges communities throughout the region face and that supports a sustainable environment.
- Reward excellence in teaching that develops critical thinking skills enhanced through both collaborative classroom experiences and real-world field work and internships.
- Model and promote dedication to community service and social responsibility.
The American University of Kurdistan will be recognized as a premier institution of higher education in the Middle East and beyond by cultivating academic excellence, fostering creativity, and engaging in the highest caliber of applied research.